Friday, October 28, 2011

Shelby & Bailey, October 2007
It's Halloween!
Here are some tips to keep your pet safe:

1)  Halloween candy is poisonous to your dog - Never let your dog have Halloween candy. Chocolate is toxic and tin foil and cellophane wrappers can be hazardous if swallowed. Seal your stash and keep out of reach.

2)  Door bells can be scary - All but the most social dogs should be kept away from the front door during trick-or-treat time. A repeatedly ringing doorbell can be very scary and stressful. A great alternative may be to sit on the porch with your pal and hand out candy there; great for socialization too!

3)  Make sure your dog’s ID tags are up-to-date and ON - Repeatedly opening the door for trick-or-treaters may give your dog an opportunity to make a break for it.  Current ID tags can ensure that your BFF is returned safely.

4)  Be careful with open flames near your dog! – A curious nose can be stuck into candle-lit pumpkin leading to a burn and a stray tail can knock anything over.  There are numerous no flame, no mess alternatives out there for both décor and to light your pumpkin.

5)  Wires and cords can harm your dog – Safely secure all wires and cords leading to holiday lights and props. Chewing on cords can cause cuts, burns or possibly life-threatening electrical shock.

No comments: