Sunday, February 15, 2009

Well, it's been over a month since I've posted. Not the best blogger, I know. I guess I've been in one of those dead-of-winter-not-much-going-on funks... Seriously, it's been just a month of work, eat and sleep; no crafting, no going out, no nothing! But, now that we've had some glimmers of 40-degree weather and the worst holiday of the year (Valentine's Day) is over, I am sure I'll be snapping out of it. Hey, on the bright side, Mardi Gras is right around the corner. I don't think I'll have time to make a traditional King Cake this year, so I've decided to do it the 'monkey bread way':





MONKEY BREAD:


4 cans buttermilk biscuits

2/3 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1-1/4 stick butter

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 large plastic bag

Preheat oven to 350F. Separate biscuits and cut into quarters. Roll quarters into balls. Mix 2/3-cup sugar and 1-tsp cinnamon in plastic bag. Shake biscuit rolls in the plastic bag until evenly coated. Place biscuit rolls in Bundt pan (or shape into an "O" on cookie sheet). Pour extra sugar mixture left over from bag on top. Mix brown sugar, butter, and 1-tsp cinnamon in saucepan. Boil for 1 minute. Pour over biscuits. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes.

-------------------------------------------------------

TO MAKE THIS INTO A KING CAKE, YOU'LL NEED PURPLE, GREEN & GOLD COLORED SUGAR AND A 1" PLASTIC BABY DOLL. When the cake is done, alternate the three colored sugars around your cake. Make the first section purple, second section green, and the third section gold, repeating until the entire cake has about 3 sections of each color. Before you cut your cake, place the baby in one of the pieces where the person eating the cake can easily discover it.


Laissez les bons temps rouler!

No comments: